[BKARTS] printing halftones

Hi All,
I am looking for advice on printing halftones successfully. I print on both
a Universal I Vandercook and a C & P platen press. We print from magnesium
plates still as the magnetic base for polymer plates is still very much
outside our budget. I am trying to discover what the finest res halftone I
can get is minus printing nightmares. I recently printed a poster with a
halftone on the same plate as fairly heavy solid black areas - so I quickly
realized this was a mistake. Any other suggestions - both image and ink
Thanks!
Kerri