[BKARTS] Wooden Covers?

Hi All,

I am rebinding a book in a completely different manner
than its original incarnation. I am doing a coptic
binding with wooden covers (it was a commercially
printed book).

Anyway, I'd like to know what people like to use for
wooden covers. I will probably doing a lot of staining
or painting and adding embellishments to the cover,
and I want it to have kind of an ancient look.
So if you have a favorite type of wood (or source) you
like to use for books, I'd love to hear about what
works well for you. I don't mind if it cracks a
little, but of course I don't want the whole cover to
break entirely in half!

Kara
http://www.karasjoblom.com