Re: [BKARTS] Wooden Covers?

Kara --

Aren't you in LA? House of Hardwoods off Pico near the 405 (Cotner, I
think) has all kinds of cool stuff, including some exotics, and
they'll mill down and finish edges for pretty reasonable cost (I got
4 pairs of 5.5x8.5 and 4 pairs of 4.25x5.5 boards milled to 1/4" and
round routered for $35). They also have lots of odd scraps lying
around for about 40% of what a newly cut piece would cost. I have
occasionally bought a big bunch of wood and they've thrown my
favorite scraps in free.

Cheers,
Meg

Hi All,

I am rebinding a book in a completely different manner
than its original incarnation. I am doing a coptic
binding with wooden covers (it was a commercially printed book).

Anyway, I'd like to know what people like to use for
wooden covers. I will probably doing a lot of staining
or painting and adding embellishments to the cover,
and I want it to have kind of an ancient look.
So if you have a favorite type of wood (or source) you
like to use for books, I'd love to hear about what
works well for you. I don't mind if it cracks a
little, but of course I don't want the whole cover to
break entirely in half!

Kara
http://www.karasjoblom.com