[BKARTS] wooden covers

Kara,

for best durability, you  might be happiest with going with a plywood. Touch
base with Mary Beth about the book she made at Ghost Ranch this year; it has
those gorgeous wooden covers, looks marvelously ancient, and is airplane
plywood; similar but stronger than its as-skinny cousin doorskin ply.
The crossed-grain wood makes for added strength and not-cracking-in-half...

If you really want board, the harder the wood the better: rock maple
varieties, walnut, or the fancy hardwoods like Paul mentions (can get
hexpensive...) -- locally MacBeath hardwoods on Ashby a block down from San
Pablo (um, before San Pablo if you're coming off 80 at the Ashby exit) is a
fabulous place to look... don't forget to peruse their scrapwood bin.
You may have to piece together to get the width of book-plate you want, talk
to this reprobate/erstwhile fiddle-making student about useful clamps I
happen to have...

Somehow the heavier (and oilier) woods that are so gorgeous in and of
themselves like an ebony, purpleheart, or rosewood aren't what I'd think of
as a base under painting and embellishing (oooh. carving a little...)
Holly, maybe.

Sounds so cool! what book?

-Ru

Automatic digest processor quoth: