Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 12 Jun 2003 to 13 Jun 2003 (#2003-162)

A number of years ago I saw some coptic style books made using small pieces of Corian for the covers. They were very nice, with that stonelike texture, and very lightweight. I don't remember who the artist was, but I believe she was from Iowa at that time. I do recall that she said working with Corian required special care because of the dust. I recently found some samples of Corian in a dumpster, and it reminded me of those books, so of course I salvaged it. I hope to try using it myself someday for books or jewelry.

Joycelyn Merchant
http://www.bookclasp.com

At 12:19 PM 06/13/2003 +0000, you wrote:

Along this line of thinking - has anyone ever made clay covers for books?
What has been your experience with this?  Susanne Martin (the one in North
Carolina)

From: Kara Sjoblom <ksjoblom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BKARTS] Wooden Covers?
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:33:48 -0700

Hi All,

I am rebinding a book in a completely different manner
than its original incarnation. I am doing a coptic
binding with wooden covers (it was a commercially
printed book).

Anyway, I'd like to know what people like to use for
wooden covers. I will probably doing a lot of staining
or painting and adding embellishments to the cover,
and I want it to have kind of an ancient look.
So if you have a favorite type of wood (or source) you
like to use for books, I'd love to hear about what
works well for you. I don't mind if it cracks a
little, but of course I don't want the whole cover to
break entirely in half!

Kara
http://www.karasjoblom.com