Re: [BKARTS] Very Large Tight Back

Ed, et. al.,

>Our co. made and repaired county record books for thirty years. Not one of
>then was "tight back"  Most all them were guard-sewn. Some were sewn on tapes
>only. None of them were case bound either.
>
>Ed S.

A close reading of my posting will reveal the term 'spring back' which
should alert a person to the bare possibility that I was not referring
to a tight back binding.

What I suggested was a binding structure for large books which is sound and
durable with heavy usage over the decades.

I have restored many books over the past 30 years, very few of which have
been what are termed 'stationary' bindings.  They survive; therefore, this
is a structure which might repay some attention.

Jack

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon  97217