[BKARTS] Transparent Vellum

Jack - are you suggesting the addition of alkali is to correct a ph inbalance? We're talking about colors that are painted onto vellum, then sealed *behind* the cover.

I suspect Eddie's concerned because the vellum now obtained is a) flushed clean of calcium - remember, in the eighteenth century they would cram chalk into their skins; some parchment makers still do; b) has a surface about as receptive as glass. So the pearl ash is probably meant as a mordant of sorts.

Paul T Werner, New York
http://theorangepress.com

DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES, a project to research and practice the techniques of the medieval scribe