[BKARTS] New Executive Director at Minnesota Center for Book Arts

Minnesota Center for Book Arts (MCBA) is pleased to announce
the hiring of Dorothy Goldie as the arts and education
organization?s new Executive Director, following a national search.
Goldie will assume leadership of the non-profit August 1, 2003,
after transitioning from her role as membership and individual
giving consultant at Minnesota Museum of American Art (MMAA).
She also served as the museum?s interim development director.

An experienced bank marketing and advertising executive, Goldie
was a surprising but clear choice to head MCBA, said search
committee chair Charlie Quimby. "We considered a number of
excellent candidates from wide-ranging backgrounds, yet Dorothy
really stood out for us in terms of how she combines a passion for
the arts with a diverse business background, strong leadership
skills and a superb communication style. She will bring the best of
all those experiences to our needs at MCBA."

Prior to her two-year stint at MMAA, Goldie was vice president of
Retail Bank advertising at U.S. Bank. She joined its predecessor
First Bank in 1988. Goldie was one of the founders of Software
Etc., a spin-off from B. Dalton Bookseller, where she was a book
buyer and retailer for ten years.

Goldie is a long-time Trustee of St. Paul Academy and Summit
School and serves on the Board of Shir Tikvah Congregation. She
has also served on the Board of the St. Paul YWCA.

Board chair Sandra Davis noted that MCBA had completed a new
strategic plan in late 2002, which not only set the direction for the
organization, "it generated a great deal of excitement and
alignment among all our stakeholders.  The planning process
also clarified for us the type of leadership MCBA needs to build on
its past and ensure its future. It gave us a blueprint for making a
choice."

"Non-profit organizations must exhibit even more accountability to
funders and more innovative thinking to all constituents to navigate
in today's challenging non-profit white water. Dorothy's past
successes as a marketer, retail entrepreneur and fundraiser
complement an entrepreneurial nonprofit like MCBA."

Goldie, a lifelong resident of St. Paul, said, "I loved the challenges
of the corporate world, but I left to find an opportunity to lead an
organization that mattered to me, and where I could see the
results of my work almost immediately. Minnesota Center for Book
Arts has grown tremendously, both in terms of audience size and
strategic vision, in the last few years. I?m excited about the
opportunity to leverage that hard work and to lead MCBA through
the next period of growth."

Minnesota Center for Book Arts (MCBA) is a non-profit organization
working to engage diverse artists and learners in finding creativity,
expression, and inspiration through the book arts. MCBA provides
classes in the arts of papermaking, printmaking, and bookbinding
for youth, families, and adults. Studio space is also available for
hourly rental by students and artists.

The Star Tribune Foundation Gallery at MCBA features four to five
exhibitions each year of traditional and contemporary book arts
from around the world. The Studio Shop at MCBA sells the work of
over 130 consignment artists along with bookmaking supplies
and gift items.

MCBA is located in the Open Book building in Minneapolis along
with The Loft Literary Center, Rosalux Gallery, and Milkweed
Editions.

Minnesota Center for Book Arts
1011 Washington Ave. S. Suite 100
Minneapolis, MN 55415