[BKARTS] Layflat binding looks broken?

I was wondering what folks thought of something that is happening at my day job. I work for a college textbook publisher, and right now we are sending books to press that are due in bookstores in July/August. The powers-that-be decided that now was the perfect time to tell manufacturing and production (where I am) that all books that were scheduled to be printed layflat (originally patented under the name Otabind) had to be perfect-bound instead, and that this was due to the marketplace perception that layflat books somehow had broken and/or more fragile spines (although of course when one uses the book, you can see the pages don't fall out). I'm not upset that were are changing orders that are already at the printer, but I am very upset that we are spending scarce money because of a false perception. Then my husband pointed out that it might not be false. So, does anyone here know if layflat books are more fragile at the spine than perfect-bound? We are printing at Webcom in
 Toronto, if that is any help. Many thanks.

Katy "You want it when?!" German