From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Silver MayKitten
Sent: June 18, 2003 6:06 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] Layflat binding looks broken-Otabind vs Double-fan

Ortabind/LayFlat makes use of standard 'perfect'
bindinbg rechnology; but when the cover is applied it
allready has a strip spine glued to it. When the book
is opened, a space is formed berween the psuedo spine
and the cover of the book, much as a space is opened
between the spine and backing of a sewn book.

Forgetting the appearance, when done properly, this
style of binding will stand up to more classroom abuse
than a regular 'perfect' binding. Our school printshop
has the version of cover reinforcing machine for
Layflat  made by Brackett and it works beautifully for
us.

MayKitten