[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [BKARTS] guard sewn


I have never seen it described in "how to" books.  This use of the word guard
was the first way I ever heard it applied to books.  I had probably made
guard-sewn books and  blankbooks for 25 year before I heard of a prosthetic
binding edge applied to a book page being refered to as a "guard."

The most common type of guard is the "single" or "cut-guard."  It consists of
four strips of light-weight board (about .025) laid parallel with the center
space being appoximately 1/8" and the two outer spaces somewhat less. These
boards are sandwiched between two strips of cloth.

One section of a book is sewn to each guard; sewing through the center space.
After all the sewctions are sewn onto guards. the guards are folded back and
the text-block is costructed by oversewing them all onto tapes. Sewing through
the outer spaces.

This description gives you only a idea of what guard sewing is. To use this
in binding blankbooks is (I think)  more complex.

Guards have been used in various ways. If you have ever examined an antique
photo album (non-loose leaf) you have probably seen a guard-sewn book.

Ed Stansell
<A HREF="http://www.bookrestoration.net";>http://www.bookrestoration.net</A>

            BOOK_ARTS-L: The listserv for all the book arts.
      For subscription information, the Archive, and other related
            resources and links go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ at:

        Archive maintained and suppported by Conservation OnLine

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]