Re: [BKARTS] guard sewn

In a message dated 6/19/03 9:35:53 AM, CraftBook@xxxxxxx writes:

<< One section of a book is sewn to each guard; sewing through the center
space.
After all the sewctions are sewn onto guards. the guards are folded back and
the text-block is costructed by oversewing them all onto tapes. Sewing through
the outer spaces. >>
In another message, Ed wrote:
> [...]
making
guard-sewn (blankbook style) bindings. This method produces a book so durable
that,
with the exception of the pages themselves, it cannot be torn apart by two
grown men. No matter the thickness, it opens flat and no matter the abuse, it
maintains its shape. If made right, they are really quite handsome. If I had
more
room I would like teaching a workshop featuring this type of binding.>>>>>>>

Ed,
I aggree with your comment. I have used a similar structure on quite a number
of books and was very pleased with the opening. I think that the structure is
something that should be seriously considered.
I make the guards from paper that is lined with unbleached cotton muslin. Two
signatures are sewn to the top of the folded guard (mountain peaks of an "M"
shaped guard) and then the guard is sewn again through the central "valley" to
linen tapes. The guard is filled with additonal paper if needed to obtain the
proper thickness.
Observation:
A number of years ago, I was at Bowling Green University where I saw a huge
book truck loaded with hundreds of Record Books that had a narrow, 3/8" wide
"meeting guard". The Etherington book describes this as a "reversed v-guard".
I was really impressed to see so many books with this structure, especially
in such fine condition.  These record books had been used as they were
completely filled, and were about a hundred years old. All of the books seemed to have
been bound in Ohio -- Cleveland, Cinncinnati, and maybe Columbus?. Obviously,
the binder(s) had a wonderful system for creating such nice small guards. I
wonder how they did them so efficiently to a very high standard?
By the way: The Etherington book says:
"The reversed v-guard places a considerable strain on the sewing thread and
folds..." While I am sure that is true, the Ohio record books were in fine
shape, so the materials and techniques must have been very good.
It is nice to see books and structures that survive the test of time.

Bill Minter
Woodbury, PA
814-793-4020
fax 814-793-4045