Re: [BKARTS] guard sewn

Bill,

I am located in Delaware.

I am very familiar with making guard-sewn books. Before computers took over
record keeping, we were very busy making county and state record books. I never
counted them, but I, personally, must have made nearly 2,000 of them. And, we
were a small bindery.  Today, I am a one man shop. I moved what equipment I
needed to my home and have operated out of my garage/house for 28 years.

There use to be a very large blankbook maker in Cincinnati, I believe it was
called the Ohio Blankbook Company. I think they moved to Lexington, KY shortly
before going out of business.

You can still buy guards from Gane Brothers & Lane.  I sometimes make my own
when I need just a few. I prefer continuous guards.  They make a much more
durable book, though they are somewhat more difficult to work with.

Ed Stansell
Craft Bookbinding Co.
http://www.bookrestoration.net