[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [BKARTS] confusion about letterpress

From: "henrietta" <quilter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> the 'old days' of printing - which consisted of
> metal letters/words slotted into frames backwards, inked and printed

Yep, that's letterpress. The term also encompasses more modern forms like
Linotype and photopolymer, but the basic idea of printing from raised
surfaces is the same.

> how can you buy one for $400?

It's pretty cool! :) I'm looking at a press right now for $250. Who knew?

> Is this what the local printshop is using these days?

The last uses I've heard of for the kinds of presses we're talking about
were numbering tickets (that had the fixed portions already printed by
offset), die-cutting and scoring. Much more automated versions are still
used, I think, but offset is used for practically everything.

I hope your question engenders a flood of information to add to my little

> I know that with both ink-jet and laser
> printers the ink sits on the surface of the paper, although I
> understand the mechanism is different.

I think (and if it's not already clear, I'm just getting into this stuff)
that laser printing is planographic, in that the ink is merely drawn to a
flat surface (the paper) and there is no "impression."

As for inkjet, I don't know what Gutenburg would have thought of a "press"
consisting of a tiny nozzle spitting ink onto paper.

            BOOK_ARTS-L: The listserv for all the book arts.
      For subscription information, the Archive, and other related
            resources and links go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ at:

        Archive maintained and suppported by Conservation OnLine

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]