Re: [BKARTS] confusion

Katie,

You didn't say how offset printing works.  Offset lithography works on the
principle of oil and water not mixing. The image area of the offset plate repels
water. (fountain solution) The fountain rollers are the first to pass over
the plate and they lay a thin coat of fountain solution on the plate. It is
repelled by the image on the plate. Then when the ink rollers pass over the plate
the ink adherses to the image area and because of the wetness the ink (oil
bassed) is repelled from the no-image area. Then the cylinder bearing the paper
passes over the cylinder bearing the inked plate and the ink is transfered to
the paper which is a more receptive surface.  I think this is all very
fascinating but I still prefer letterpress.

Ed Stansell