Re: [BKARTS] paper

Audrey:

You didn't mention why the paper you chose turned out to be not quite
suitable. But there are a number of factors to take into consideration when
choosing paper. Among them are weight (usually translated as paper
thickness); surface qualities; content (cotton versus cellulose, eg);
color...

I think the only real way to learn about paper is to work with it and
experience it in person. The more you do that, the better you will become at
picking the right paper for the job. You are quite right, however, in
thinking that you have a LOT more options that what you might find at your
local "art store" although if you live in NYC, you are living where the art
stores are among the best.

One online resource to check out is http://www.artpaper.com/

They have paper listed by category of use (some papers can be used for more
than one thing, of course), and give a pretty good rundown of paper
characteristics, best uses, etc. for everything they carry. Another source
is Stephen Kinsella Papers in St. Louis, although I'm not sure if they have
a web site. I recommend you get sample books (most places charge for this,
but it's well worth it) so you can experience the feel of the papers before
you choose one for a particular project. If you are working on a major
project, it's also worthwhile to get larger samples or order a couple of
sheets to play with, fold, etc., and see how they do.

It's also good to have a wide selection of sample books from commercial
paper mills, such as the Neenah you spoke of. Mohawk is another mill whose
papers are quite popular with book artists (esp. Superfine). If you make a
visit to a local paper distributor you can collect samples and sample books.
Keep in mind, however, that many commercial papers have to be purchased by
the carton, so may not be suitable for small projects such as artists'
books, etc.

on 6/22/03 7:19 AM, Audrey  Hill at AudHill57@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I recently finished a book using fabriano paper that I got from an art supply
> store.  I didn't feel like it was the right paper after I was finished. It
> had a nice enough quality, but I know that another paper would have given a
> better effect.   So, now I realized also that I would really like to know
> paper,
> so that I can order paper that does what I want it to do and not depend on
> what
> happens to be available at an art supply store.    I'm also thinking that
> paper can probably be classified and characterized so that I could keep a
> paper
> sample book that really worked.  I have one paper sample book from Neenah
> paper, but it seems somewhat limited in scope to me. Does anyone out there
> have
> information about how I can get an education in paper?  I was thinking that
> maybe
> I could learn from an individual who I could take classes from in paper?  Or
> I don't know. Any ideas?  I'm in New York City.
>
> Audrey

Katie Harper
Ars Brevis Press
Cincinnati, OH