[BKARTS] "GIRL PRINTERS: Talented Women Strut Their Stuff!" - Union College, Schenectady, New York

"GIRL PRINTERS: Talented Women Strut Their Stuff!": An Invitational Show

August 28 through December 7, 2003

"Girl Printers" showcases professional work done by thirty-seven women
printers. The aim of the show is to introduce college students and the
visiting public to a wide variety of ephemeral and substantive printing and
book arts work done by a sampling of women from across the United States.
With tongue-in-cheek, the title of the show reflects that we are strong, we
are talented and we are part of a great tradition of women printers, going
back to the beginning of the development of movable type.

As curator of the show, Carol J. Blinn is in a perfect position to gather
together such special talents. She has been designing with type,
illustrating, letterpress printing, binding by hand, publishing books and
doing commercial printing work for thirty years. Many of the women in the
show she counts as friends and some have been highly recommended by others
in the book arts field. All are professionals, some at the beginnings of
their careers and some far along the printing path. All have stories to tell.

Part of the show revolves around their answers to a long list of questions
sent by Carol to each participant. Every printer has a love of a different
tool; each one approaches the joys of making art with various methods;
every printer tells of mentors or childhood-learned skills that helped her
along the way; each printer addresses typefaces used; several printers
wrote about their personal triumphs in running shop equipment; many of the
printers have an opinion on being treated differently just because they are
women; and every one of the printers explains her life's work as work she
could not live without.

________________________

As each questionnaire arrives I am struck by how varied but connected our
stories are. The gathering of this information has helped me feel less
alone, less odd and more energized at doing my life's work. I am touched
beyond measure by the honesty, professionalism, determination and humor of
all the printers involved. Putting this show together has been my rare
pleasure and privilege. I urge those reading this to come to Union College
and see how talented these printers are and to read their extraordinary words.

Carol J. Blinn, Curator and proprietor of Warwick Press

________________________

Mandeville Gallery
Nott Memorial(Gallery location)
UNION COLLEGE
Schenectady, New York 12308
518-388-6729

Exhibition Opens: August 28, 2003

Exhibition Opening Reception
and Gallery Talk by the Curator, Carol J. Blinn:  September 18, 2003  -
4:30 to 6:30 p.m.

Check with UNION COLLEGE to learn of other events scheduled
in conjunction with the show.

List of Women participating:

Edith McKeon Abbott, Lynne Avadenka, Roberta L. Bannister, Carol J. Blinn,
Mare Blocker, Inge Bruggeman, Jean Beuscher, Kathryn Clark, Maralyn
Crosetto, Marie Dern, Elsi Vassdal Ellis, Leslie Evans, Jules Remedios
Faye, Julia Ferrari, Madelyn Garrett,, Sally Green, Robin Heyeck, Kate
Hitt, Jeannie M. Hunt, Susan E. King, Karen Kunc, Emily Martin, Ruth
McGurk, Bonnie Pratt O'Connell, Sara Parkel, Marian Parry, Robin Price,
Karen Pava Randall, Coriander Reisbord, Felicia Rice, Sarah Roberts,
Katherine McCanless Ruffin, Jenny Sapora, Carol Schwartzott, Sandra
Tilcock, Claire Van Vliet, and Kathy Walkup.

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator
<verheyen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>