Re: [BKARTS] Reflections on bookart and commerce

The consensus seems to be that a case would solve most of the problems, I
agree with this fully. I also am really gratified by how well folks have
grasped the concept. What a pleasure to be able to discuss this in such a
sensitive forum! Below my responses to specific comments.

on 7/4/03 8:51 AM, Gavin Stairs at stairs@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I have been making hand made trade paper books for a while, in a style similar
> to quality trade paper bound books.  They are Singer sewn in signatures of
> 16pp, adhesive bound together with folded end papers, in a laminated, paper
> cover.

This is pretty much how the original trade paperbacks were manufactured.

> Given the specifics of the idea, I would suggest that the original book be
> preserved as originally conceived, but that it be presented as the valuable
> artifact that it purports to be, by means of a suitable box or cover.  The
> treatment of a box can be ironic and consistent with the book design, and yet
> convey both points because of the incongruity of the means.  A somewhat subtle
> way of making a large neon sign saying "expensive irony here!"

Just great! see below on a wooden case.

on 7/4/03 8:25 AM, Maxine at Maxquilts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> And perhaps a formal presentation of this type would indeed create another
> layer of emphasis for the joke?  . . . consider . . .  an everyday trade
> paperback in a slipcase?  why is it in there?

Trade paperbacks often come in slipcases. I remember buying my daughter,
Faera, a beautiful boxed paperback set of Narnia when she was little.

on 7/3/03 9:39 PM, Jen Hogben at Jennyhogben@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Why not package the book instead in a more decorative way, including a classy
> information sheet describing the design, the process and the concept behind
> the work, and the number of the edition details?  That way the publisher has a
> more attractive or 'collectable' package to market, and you keep the intrinsic
> design of the book intact.

This makes a lot of sense. I don't know why I didn't think of it myself.

on 7/3/03 9:29 PM, Patrice Baldwin at patbooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> My first thought, after reading your post, was that I would make a special
> edition (of as many as you can stand or afford) for this dealer... but go WAY
> over the top toward your idea of "mechanical." Bend it further, like aluminum
> covers with wire binding or high tech plastic covers with rivets.

Right now, I'm inclining toward a wooden case, with a sliding cover, no
hardware. I could have these made here out of a rare native hardwood such as
zapote -- stronger than steel, but very heavy. The Maya used zapote for
their lintels. You see ruins that are more than a thousand years old. The
stones are falling down and crumbling, but the zapote beam is just fine,
still supporting the weight of the doorway plus all the accretions of the
centuries.