[BKARTS] Cross-grain Endpapers

    The 1888 book I am working on, Picturesque California: the Rocky
Mountains and the Pacific Slope, edited by John Muir, has beautiful marbled
endpapers (pastedown and flyleaves) used cross-grain. The large, 11.5 x 15 x
2.5, two-volume set was donated to the local Historical Museum to be used
for research. The front covers of both volumes of these books, leather
bound,  sewn on recessed cords with hollow backs and false bands, were
detached, cords broken, and the spines too rotten to be saved. The text
blocks are in beautiful condition, except for horizontal tears in the cross
grain blank pages of the endpaper signatures. These pages carry the donor's
signature and must be saved.
    I will clean the spines, re-attach the covers with new cords (a la
Bernard Middleton) and re-back the books with new matching leather.
    If these books were to be stored away, never to be used for research, I
would merely clean and box them and let it go at that. However, the museum
curators are desirous of having the set put in condition to withstand
handling.
    My question: How do others who find short-grain endpaper sections, a
common situation in books of that period, solve the problem? I've
encountered it before and have dealt with it by using  the paper pasted to
the flyleaf in the same horizontal grain direction. Of course, the material
I use for the new hinges is long grain. I have wondered how this situation
affects the binding in the long run.