[BKARTS] digital restoration & question

I was sent a link this morning to a digital recreation of the covers of the
Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam that went down with the Titanic, commissioned by
the company which bound the orignial. It gives an interesting step-by-step
look at the process.

http://www.loopcorp.com/Work/Retouches/omarmain.html

Also, I recently picked up a first edition of Aldren Watson's Hand
Bookbinding: A Manual of Instruction, and was surprised to see that instead
of a bone folder, work was done with a combination of "folding needle" (like
an awl with a fat, rounded needle on each end of the handle, and a "flat
folder" (which looks like a potter's tool, 4" x 2.25"). He mentions a birch
"folding stick", but you don't see it used in the illustrations.

Are bone folders as we know them relatively new, or was Watson working in a
different style than most binders?

Thanks for any information -
Roberta

Roberta Lavadour