Re: [BKARTS] digital restoration & question

On 7/10/03 7:47 AM, "RLavadour" <paper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I was sent a link this morning to a digital recreation of the covers of the
> Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam that went down with the Titanic, commissioned by
> the company which bound the orignial. It gives an interesting step-by-step
> look at the process.
>
> http://www.loopcorp.com/Work/Retouches/omarmain.html
>
> Also, I recently picked up a first edition of Aldren Watson's Hand
> Bookbinding: A Manual of Instruction, and was surprised to see that instead
> of a bone folder, work was done with a combination of "folding needle" (like
> an awl with a fat, rounded needle on each end of the handle, and a "flat
> folder" (which looks like a potter's tool, 4" x 2.25"). He mentions a birch
> "folding stick", but you don't see it used in the illustrations.
>
> Are bone folders as we know them relatively new, or was Watson working in a
> different style than most binders?
>
> Thanks for any information -
> Roberta
>
> Roberta Lavadour
> Pendleton, Oregon
> paper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.missioncreekpress.com

Dear Roberta,

Thank you so much for letting us know about this web sight. I've admired the
work that Rob Shepherd is doing to save the archives of Sangorski & Sutcliff
and Zahensdorfs and it was a delight to see how the Great Omar picture was
done.

Thanks again,
Frank Lehmann
Lehmann Bindery