[BKARTS] Aldren Watson question

Watson, not unlike Manly Banister, was a multi-faceted craftsman
and artist.  He was not primarily a bookbinder.

The section on making tools, at the end of his _Hand Bookbinding_ manual
is intended for those who enjoy making their own tools.

Now, if a person goes looking for bone folders in an art supply store
they will find folders, but they generally have fairly thick edges, not
very well suited to making the fine creases/tucks Watson describes.

Back when I was starting out I did use a couple of his suggestions
and made a squared card and a right angle card.  Haven't used them
for years, but they're still in the lab.  Just in case.

That is why I have upwards of a dozen bone folders laying around the
bench; some curved, some flat on one edge, some pointed, some blunt
ended, etc., made from deer and elk bone to take advantage of natural
curves/edges.

One old trade binder I knew in the mid-70's told me that one of his
first apprentice tasks was to make his own bone folder.

He still used it.  The folder was about 4 inches long and clearly made
from the bone left over from some roast beef.

Jack

(snip)
>Are bone folders as we know them relatively new, or was Watson working in a
>different style than most binders?
>
>Thanks for any information -
>Roberta

Thompson Conservation Lab.