[BKARTS] Letterpress Odyssey

Ars Brevis Press is pleased to announce a new forthcoming limited-edition
book, entitled "A Letterpress Odyssey: A Journey into the Heart of
Printing," by award-winning book artist K. Nelson Harper, with illustrations
by Wesley Bates.

As you are no doubt aware, there has been a Renaissance in letterpress
printing for fine press books, invitations, announcements and other printed
matter where a more artistic look or tactile quality is desired. What is it
that has led to the recent revival of this lost art? Why would anyone
willfully spurn the ease and speed of computer-generated graphics for the
painstaking, labor-intensive art of letterpress?

The resurgence in this old-world craft runs much deeper than just niche
markets, and, oddly enough, there are no books documenting this movement. As
a book artist and printer myself, my goal is to fill that void, creating a
work of art at the same time. "A Letterpress Odyssey" is designed to
celebrate the stories of a few representative artisans of letterpress
printing?-those dedicated to keeping craft, historic tradition and
excellence alive in a world that seems to have lost sight of their value.

I plan to travel from Ohio to California, visiting printers along the route,
craftsmen who can be found on any back road or urban center in America (or
indeed the world). Among the planned stops on this Odyssey are visits to
Gray Zeitz of Larkspur Press in Kentucky, a publisher of highly collectible
limited-edition books; John Horn of Shooting Star Press in Little Rock,
Arkansas, reputed to have one of the largest collections of letterpress
equipment in the US; Emily Martin of Naughty Dog Press in Iowa, a book
artist who uses letterpress as artistic expression; Fritz Klinke of NA
Graphics in Colorado, a perveyor of letterpress equipment and supplies; Zida
Borcich of Studio Z in Ft. Bragg, California, a top producer of hip,
contemporary greeting cards, and several more. Some are professional
printers who do this every day, satisfying a growing demand for specialty
printed items such as wedding invitations and collectible books; some are
historians who preserve important traditions and aesthetics; still others
are amateurs who work by day as lawyers and accountants, only to come home
in the evening and meditate to the hum of a printing press, producing a
business card or church flyer. "A Letterpress Odyssey" celebrates them all.

The final published book, which itself will be letterpress printed, will be
a collection of these heartfelt, humorous and genuine stories--tales of the
old-world craft and its historical significance, the smell of the inks and
solvents, the feel of the lead type and the sweet, lilting hum of the
machines. But this book is more than a history or the revival of an outmoded
technology. It¹s an odyssey in the truest meaning of the word?-a series of
wanderings filled with sagas, with madness and the brilliant method in it.

"A Letterpress Odyssey" will be printed in an edition of 150, including 125
copies of the standard cloth bound edition in a slip case, and 25 copies of
a luxurious deluxe edition with full leather binding in a clamshell box. A
prospectus is available, either a letterpress printed version or an online
version, that will give more details about the project and the book as well
as providing you an order form that you can use to reserve your copy.

I hope you will join me in this celebration of a timeless art by purchasing
your copy in advance at the discounted pre-publication price. We accept
checks, VISA or MasterCard.  Use the web address below to download an online
version of the prospectus and order form, or if you prefer the printed
version with SASE, please email me with your address.

If you have any questions or need any additional information, please let me
know.

Katie Harper
Ars Brevis Press
Cincinnati, OH