Re: [BKARTS] photopolymer plates

On 6/23/03 9:00 AM, "Edward Stansell" <CraftBook@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> There are also plastic (i'm not sure which type) letterpress plates that are
> produced in the same way rubber stamps are made. They are inexpensive but
> squash under excess pressure, producing problems for the less skilled
> pressman.
> Copper or magnesium plates will stand much more abuse.

I'm late to this thread, but I thought that I should point out that
photopolymer plates come in many different hardnesses. Although plates for
flexo printing are indeed soft, the plates used for letterpress are
sufficiently hard not to squash or deform during impression. The plate
manufacturers claim they can withstand millions of impressions. Gerald
Lange's book "Printing Digital Type on the Hand Operated Flatbed Cylinder
Press" gives a good overview of the history and use of these plates for
letterpress.

Thanks,
Harold

Boxcar Press