Re: [BKARTS] Text software

on 7/17/03 5:57 PM, Meghan Merker at gamblergraphics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> The main problem with using InDesign is that not as many commercial printers
> can work from InDesign files. But if you are doing your own books, that's not
> an issue.

InDesign is the best page layout program I've ever used. When combined with
OpenType it offers typographic refinements that rival hand-set metal type.
Take a look at http://www.cafecancun.com/bookarts/opentype.pdf for an idea
of what this means. The document was created in InDesign 2.0.

One of the great advantages of InDesign is that it exports perfect Acrobat
PDF that are acceptable by most printers and can be imported into Quark. You
can also export your documents as EPS. I've been using InDesign to create
ads and other items in Cancun, some of them for publications in the United
States.

A few days ago, a client received a call from the Ritz-Carlton magazine
(which is printed at Reader's Digest Press) complimenting them on how well
constructed our ad was -- the only one that they were able to use without
extensive corrections and back and forth with the designer.

My book, Mad Laughter (which I've mentioned here before) is designed with
InDesign 2.0.

--
JULES SIEGEL http://www.cafecancun.com/bookarts/jsiegel.htm
Apdo 1764 77501-Cancun Q. Roo Mexico 1[52-998]883-3629

Newsroom-l, the news and issues discussion list
for journalists <http://www.newsroom-l.net/blog>