Re: [BKARTS] Text software-What each is good for

GENERAL
I've tried out most of the major software for my publications, PageMaker,
InDesign, QuarkXPress, Framemaker, Microsoft Publisher, Corel Ventura,
CorelDraw, Illustrator, Word, WordPerfect. The thing to consider is that
they all have things they will and will not do, so choose the software based
on (a) what you do most or want done (b) which operating system you are
using (c) your printing house uses (d) what others around you are using if
you want to sell your skills or be compatible.
.
DESKTOP PUBLISHING OR WORD PROCESSING
Programs like Word and WordPerfect are word processors and don't handle a
mixture of graphics and text as well as desktop publishing programs like
PageMaker, InDesign, QuarkXPress, Framemaker, Microsoft Publisher, Corel
Ventura. They don't have some of the more sophisticated things needed for
publishing or outputting color. Word processing programs don't handle really
long documents well, however one plus is that illustrations and pictures are
generally displayed at full resolution, while most desktop publishing
programs display reduced resolution graphics, so they can handle long
documents.

DRAWING PROGRAMS
CorelDraw, Adobe Illustrator and similar drawing programs actually are not a
bad choice of program for shorter highly illustrated books. The advantage
here is that the graphics are displayed at full resolution, and as well the
graphics can be modified right in the same program. Unfortunately drawing
programs don't always have the necessary desktop publishing features. In the
latest patent I wrote, I initially used CorelDraw for the 50 drawings, but
later discovered a need to paste them into Corel Ventura when I
electronically submitted the application as a single file.

LONG AND SHORT DOCUMENTS
Desktop publishing programs like InDesign, Pagemaker, and QuarkXPress are
really designed for magazine type publications and shorter documents. They
don't always have the advanced features for doing books. Adobe makes another
program called Framemaker for books. That is what Microsoft uses for
publishing their books. Framemaker and Corel Ventura are structured document
programs. Change a tag and every page, paragraph, or heading in the whole
document can be altered globally instead of individually.

THE PROGRAMS
   1. Word...good for letters
   2. WordPerfect...good for letters

   3. CorelDraw...good for highly illustrated documents with some text
   4. Illustrator...good for highly illustrated documents with some text

   5. Microsoft Publisher...good for newsletters, lacks advanced features
   6. InDesign...good for magazines and newsletters
   7. PageMaker...good for magazines and newsletters
   8. QuarkXPress...good for magazines and newsletters, expensive with all
the add-ons

   9. Framemaker...good for long structured documents like books
   10. Corel Ventura...designed for long structured documents like books but
does magazine and newsletters well also

APPLE VS WINDOWS
I've discovered that programs like PageMaker, InDesign, QuarkXPress,
Framemaker which were initially designed for Apple computers don't always
retain the full features when converted to Windows programs. The pulldown
menus may be there but the programs don't always run properly. The only
powerful desktop publishing program designed to run on Windows is Corel
Ventura. I need to use Windows for most of the programs I use.

PRINTING HOUSES
Lot's of printing houses will only work with Apple files especially in
color. Lots won't work with anything but PageMaker, InDesign, QuarkXPress.
They won't even work with Framemaker. So you have to look around. Converting
to Adobe Acrobat will almost always allow you to work with a printing house
when using black and white.

MY CHOICE
I chose Corel Ventura as the best all around, most powerful, and flexible
desktop publishing program. It has almost everything you need in the basic
bundle. The full bundle for QuarkXPress would cost up to US$8,000. Some of
the other desktop publishing programs don't even have the right plug-ins
that are need. Corel Ventura will handle up to 10,000 page books. I actually
use it for letters as well due to the endless problems I have with Word when
using illustrations or even letter banners. My most recent version is Corel
Ventura 10. Corel has been having financial problems the last few years
however I'm hoping to stay with my current version for many years so it's
not a big issue for me. Some publishers still use 10 yr old programs for
compatibility. Corel Ventura 10 apparently has a few unfixed bugs, like most
programs do, but work well for me.

Ben Wiens...applied energy scientist
Ben Wiens Energy Science Inc.
Energy Website: http://www.benwiens.com
Read my popular web-booklet "Energy Science Made Simple"