[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[BKARTS] NEDCC Announces New Publication
- To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: [BKARTS] NEDCC Announces New Publication
- From: Juanita Singh <juanita@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 14:23:48 -0400
- Message-id: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: Book_Arts-L <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
NEDCC Announces New Publication,
Assessing Preservation Needs: A Self-Survey Guide
- Will your institution's collections be here for generations to come?
- Are your storage and housing conditions doing more harm than good?
- Are there preventative steps that could be taken now so that your collections will be here tomorrow?
The Northeast Document Conservation Center (NEDCC) announces a new publication that both asks and answers these important questions, Assessing Preservation Needs: A Self-Survey Guide. An empowering and important new resource, the purpose of this guide is to help small to medium-sized institutions with limited preservation experience and budgets to design a program ensuring that their historical collections survive in usable condition as long as possible.
NEDCC, working in partnership with Amigos Library Services, Inc. of Dallas Texas, and OCLC of Dublin, Ohio, also produced a 30-minute video highlighting themes of this new publication, available soon through Amigos. This multi-media project is supported by a National Library Leadership Grant from The Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), a Federal agency that fosters innovation, leadership and a lifetime of learning. In addition, NEDCC receives major funding for its field service program from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Assessing Preservation Needs: A Self-Survey Guide is 96 pages in length. Designed with the user in mind, it provides step-by-step directions and worksheets on how to go about surveying your collection's preservation needs, as well as guidance for setting preservation priorities once the needs have been identified. Because different kind of collections have different preservation needs, individualized worksheets are provided, tailored to the needs of: bound volumes and pamphlets, documents and manuscripts, photographs and negatives, oversized and framed materials, newsprint, scrapbooks and ephemera, and audiovisual materials. The Guide also provides detailed worksheets on the assessment of:
* Institutional Overview * Preservation Microfilming & Photocopying
* Building Environment * Digital Imaging
* External Threats & Water Protection * Reformatting Photographs & Audiovisual Materials
* Security & Access * Repair & Treatment
* General Storage * Summarizing Needs & Setting Priorities
To order a copy of Assessing Preservation Needs: A Self-Survey Guide, send a check made out to NEDCC for $15.00 to the Northeast Document Conservation Center, attn: Juanita Singh, 100 Brickstone Square, Andover, MA 01810; The cost includes UPS Ground shipping and handling within the continental U.S. Faster shipping is available at cost. Please contact Juanita Singh at juanita@xxxxxxxxx for pricing information. All payments must be made in U.S. dollars. Include your name, mailing address, and email address or use an order form that is now available at www.nedcc.org.
To find out more about NEDCC's and Amigos' services and programs, visit their Websites at: www.nedcc.org and www.amigos.org as well as the Regional Alliance for Preservation's Website at www.rap-arcc.org
*Postings may not be re-printed in any form without the express
consent of the author - Please respect their contributions & ©*
BOOK_ARTS-L: The listserv for all the book arts.
For subscription information, the Archive, and other related
resources and links go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ at:
Archive maintained and suppported by Conservation OnLine