Re: [BKARTS] looking for advice: finding the right venues

Hello, Leah

Contact your local (or regional) book arts society for support, along
with the big book arts centers....not to leave any out, but New York
City Center for Book Arts, Minneapolis, Chicago, etc......the ones
that have calls for entries.  Enter your work in juried
shows...........show your work to your area's major public libraries
and donate and then sell to their book art collection. If they don't
have one, help get one started.  Offer to give slide presentations,
along with examples of your books as a visiting artist.  There is
also the Women's Studio Workshop where  you can make your work in an
artist residency, or even get a grant from them to work in your own
studio........if you Google search for them and others (such as
WomanMade in Chicago), you can find a lot of places that show and
sell work.  Also local galleries can start showing your work and
hopefully selling some to collectors.  This obviously all takes time
and a major investment from you.

Hope these disjointed thoughts help,
Rhonda
Milford, Ohio

I have been making collages and book art most of my life, but it's only
in the past year that I have begun to pursue it almost full time. I am
now trying to find the right venues to show and hopefully sell work, but
am finding it daunting.

What I've done recently:
This past month I completed a new book of mixed media collages,
exploring the memory of travel, in this case a child's trip to the
seacoast. I start by photographing the experiences and then use digital
printouts of these images to begin a series of mixed-media collages. The
books in this edition of ten are all based on the same digital prints,
but are collaged and painted individually. Images of this new book can
be viewed at: http://www.iwasonce.com/books.html

In order to make some of the books more affordable, I'm considering a
"regular" edition of my books, that would fall in the $200-300 range,
made with high quality digital prints rather than original hand painted
and collaged images. But then it feels like I'm getting further and
further away from the making of the images - the part I truly love.

Finally, I've donated a custom book to a local public radio auction
http://www.nprauction.wgbh.org/. I'm offering to make a book similar to
the one on my site, but about a location/event/subject of the bidder's
choice. I'm starting to think I may be crazy though.

Here's what I'm looking for:
How have other book artists found the right audience? Where did you
start? Are there resources that you would recommend? Any feedback/advice
would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

- Leah

120 franklin st #3