Re: [BKARTS] looking for advice: finding the right venues

Leah,
Rhonda's suggestions are right on. I also began to pursue my passion for
paper arts and book arts full time a few years ago after years in corporate
life. In addition to membership in book arts societies and submitting work
to juried calls I have also taken classes from some well known book
artists. What I've noticed is that these same artists are able to sell
their work for $100 or more. They have their work in national and
international collections and exhibits and have the reputation to command
these prices.

As an emerging (versus "established") artist I have learned that I must
price my work at a level that will be attractive to the customer.  The
customer is not buying my name - yet. He or she is only buy the paper or
book or box and may not even think of it as "art." I feel successful if my
work is selling and I am recovering the cost of my material. My goal is not
to earn a living by selling my work, but to gain experience and recognition
as my work evolves.

One other suggestion for learning and exposure is to apply to the Paper and
Book Intensive's annual two week program. There you will meet many
wonderful talented people and have the opportunity for intensive learning
in several areas of book and paper arts. Their web site is
www.paperbookintensive.org. The program is held annually every spring. Best
of luck.