Re: [BKARTS] Comp and layout programs

Mark Wilden wrote:
Why is it sinful? Can you not earn that much money (plus profit) by publishing your formulas? Why can other folks, but not you?
I'm not exactly capitalism's biggest fan, but even I can answer the question of why Quark's formula extension costs $650--because enough folks are willing to pay it.
Is there a better way of determining software prices?

To which Katy says:
Mark, I hope you are being facetious. Those "folks" in this case are incorporated companies who take on dozens, if not hundreds, of book projects for publishing houses. I would have thought that a subscriber to this list would have a smidge of sympathy (or at least a tad of empathy) for a self-publisher.

Then Ben Wiens wrote:
...But it's a free world and so what's the problem? Well for one it would be hard to find a printing house to do color printing for me.

To which Katy says:
Ben, why can't you submit CRC (camera-ready copy) to your printer? Did I miss something at the start of this thread?

Man, this has gone way off-topic. If the baby weren't crying, I'd hunt for a bookarts-related bit to throw in here...

Katy