[BKARTS] Passing of Barbara Valenta

Dear Friends, Colleagues, and Fellow-Artists of Barbara,

I'm writing to let you know that last Friday, August 1st, Barbara
passed on in her home on Staten Island. Barbara has greatly loved
life, loved art, and loved her work. To celebrate all of these we
will be having a commemorative gathering this coming WEDNESDAY,
AUGUST 6, at 11:00 a.m. at the SNUG HARBOR CULTURAL CENTER on Staten
Island. We will be meeting on the lawn in front of the Children's
Museum, by a wagon-sculpture Barbara made for the museum - and for
children - some years ago. All are warmly welcome to come.

Directions to Snug Harbor are included below.  (Also, you might want
to bring a folding chair, if you're uncomfortable standing for an
extended period of time.)

One of the great joys and inspirations of Barbara's work has been
indigenous art. She has been a charter member of the Smithsonian's
National Museum of the American Indian and an enthusiastic and
regular visitor to its New York City branch in Lower Manhattan.
Should you like to make a contribution to the museum in her honor,
the address is:

Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian
P.O. Box 23473
Washington, D.C.  20026
(it would be great if you would mention Barbara's name with any
contribution) Should you have any questions, please feel free to
call us at: (718) 816 6081. We do not have contact addresses for all
of Barbara's colleagues and artist-friends, so we would greatly
appreciate it if you would forward this message as you deem
appropriate.

- With warm regards to all of you who have known, worked with,
inspired and been inspired by Barbara -
Milton and Markha Valenta
39 Winter Ave.
Staten Island, NY 10301
(718) 816 6081

DIRECTIONS TO SNUG HARBOR
address: 1000 Richmond Terrace, Staten Island, NY  10301
tel: (718) 448 2500
web:
www.snug-harbor.org
(this site includes more detailed directions)
All directions take you to the main entrance on Terrace Road. After
going through this entrance, take your first left and follow the
road to the parking lot at the end. The lawn of the Children's
Museum and Barbara's sculpture are directly visible from the parking
lot. In addition there are clearly marked signs throughout Snug
Harbor, pointing the way to the Children's Museum.

from Staten Island ferry:
take the S40 bus to Snug Harbor. Call (718) 815 2628 for ferry schedule.

by car from Brooklyn:
take the Staten Island Expressway (I-278) to the Clove Road Exit,
take Clove Road north onto Bement and take a right onto Richmond
Terrace. Turn right into Snug Harbor entrance from Terrace.

from New Jersey:
take the New Jersey Turnpike at Exit #14A, Bayonne. Follow 440 South
toward Bayonne Bridge after leaving Turnpike toll booth. After
crossing the Bayonne Bridge, take first exit past bridge toll booth
and go right on Morningstar Road. Make a right on Richmond Terrace
at end of Morningstar.