From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
barbara valenta
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 11:47 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BKARTS] Passing of Barbara Valenta

Dear Friends, Colleagues, and Fellow-Artists of Barbara,

I'm writing to let you know that last Friday, August 1st, Barbara passed
on in her home on Staten Island.

Barbara has greatly loved life, loved art, and loved her work. To
celebrate all of these we will be having a commemorative gathering this
coming WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 6, at 11:00 a.m. at the SNUG HARBOR CULTURAL
CENTER on Staten Island. We will be meeting on the lawn in front of the
Children's Museum, by a wagon-sculpture Barbara made for the museum -
and for children - some years ago. All are warmly welcome to come.

Directions to Snug Harbor are included below.  (Also, you might want to
bring a folding chair, if you're uncomfortable standing for an extended
period of time.)

One of the great joys and inspirations of Barbara's work has been
indigenous art. She has been a charter member of the Smithsonian's
National Museum of the American Indian and an enthusiastic and regular
visitor to its New York City branch in Lower Manhattan. Should you like
to make a contribution to the museum in her honor, the address is:

Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian
P.O. Box 23473
Washington, D.C.  20026
(it would be great if you would mention Barbara's name with any
contribution)

Should you have any questions, please feel free to call us at: (718) 816
6081.

We do not have contact addresses for all of Barbara's colleagues and
artist-friends, so we would greatly appreciate it if you would forward
this message as you deem appropriate.

- With warm regards to all of you who have known, worked with, inspired
and been inspired by Barbara -

Milton and Markha Valenta
39 Winter Ave.
Staten Island, NY 10301
(718) 816 6081

DIRECTIONS TO SNUG HARBOR
address: 1000 Richmond Terrace, Staten Island, NY  10301
tel: (718) 448 2500
web: www.snug-harbor.org <http://www.snug-harbor.org/>  (this site
includes more detailed directions)

All directions take you to the main entrance on Terrace Road. After
going through this entrance, take your first left and follow the road to
the parking lot at the end. The lawn of the Children's Museum and
Barbara's sculpture are directly visible from the parking lot. In
addition there are clearly marked signs throughout Snug Harbor, pointing
the way to the Children's Museum.

from Staten Island ferry:
take the S40 bus to Snug Harbor. Call (718) 815 2628 for ferry schedule.

by car from Brooklyn:
take the Staten Island Expressway (I-278) to the Clove Road Exit, take
Clove Road north onto Bement and take a right onto Richmond Terrace.
Turn right into Snug Harbor entrance from Terrace.

from New Jersey:
take the New Jersey Turnpike at Exit #14A, Bayonne. Follow 440 South
toward Bayonne Bridge after leaving Turnpike toll booth. After crossing
the Bayonne Bridge, take first exit past bridge toll booth and go right
on Morningstar Road. Make a right on Richmond Terrace at end of
Morningstar.
related resources and links go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ at: Archive
maintained and suppported by Conservation OnLine