Re: [BKARTS] looking for advice: finding the right venues.

Ted,
Sounds wonderful, the hand-bound childrens books. Do you have a site online
where they can be seen? I sell my own written hand-bound books, and the "way
to go" depends on how much you enjoy selling yourself, or how much you
appreciate resellers selling for you. Reasonable percentages for shop owners
tends to be anywhere from 40 to 50%. If you have a reseller represent you,
they get 15% of sales. You can find out about resellers by going to the very
stores you are interested in having your works available in, and ask them
who they buy from. And/or search for them on internet. For wholesale sales,
consider that you need to sell the book at half of the retail price. So
price accordingly! But, you can stipulate minimum orders of 5 or 10 or
however many copies.  In my experience, consignment is good for exposure,
but does not lead to as many sales.Consignment percentages tend to be 40%
for sales owner. If you sell yourself to shop owners, be sure to call ahead
of time and set up an appointment. "Dropping in" with merchandise is not the
best procedure.
Again, if you are interested in self marketing, you might consider doing a
reading at your local library, for kids. Or at the shops where your books
will be sold. Coming up with a simple brochure about the book, pricing,
where it can be found, etc. is not a bad idea either.
Good luck!
Alex Appella
www.transientbooks.com