[BKARTS] Scrolls

Japanese scrolls work best (i.e. last longest) when the papers are
thin, the silk is thin, and a thin starch paste is used as the adhesive.

Even then, after a few years/decades, delamination can occur, and the
scrolls do begin to break down (look at an old scroll and you will
see what I mean.)

Compared with dilute starch paste PVA is very thick, it is rubbery,
and it wants to lay flat.

If you continue using PVA you might consider going to a larger rod
to wind the scroll upon.

It doesn't have to be wood; a large cardboard tube could be used.
Cover the tube with the bottom end of the scroll and glue on round
wood endpieces.

Good luck,

Jack

>(snip)
>My question relates to a wrinkling problem I'm having when making a scroll
>with collaged papers.  Similar to Japanese  scrolls where you have images
>that are framed with borders of decorative papers.  In some areas you may
>have as many as 3 layers of paper pva in between.  It is these areas that
>tend to wrinkle when the scroll is wound.
>
>Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>

>Mary

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick