Re: [BKARTS] Help me make mini 2x3" wedding albums!

Here are my ideas on making your wedding albums. Hmm, I might try making
some mini albums myself. Sounds like a neat idea. And yes photographic
prints are amazingly cheap:

   1. Make 4x6 inch photographic prints printed one side, no border.
   2. Score the backside of the prints down the center with a simple jig.
This will allow the prints to fold more cleanly and evenly. Fold in half
with pictures inward.
   3. Make a simple lying press. This is two blocks 2.9 inches high with
horizontal threaded rods, wing nuts. The lying press in this case will lay
right on top of a smooth table top surface or rigid sheet.
   4. Stuff an album full of folded prints into the lying press with folded
edge down. Now 0.1 inches of front edges stick up past top edge of lying
press jaws. Tamp down to line up the folds against the table top. Line up
sides.
   5. Use a hot melt glue gun and lay down two areas of glue on the front
edge wiggling back and forth 0.5 inches wide. This will temporarily bind the
front edge together. Seems like an extra step but speeds up the gluing,
allows you to use the full size of the prints, and allows for good glue
coverage easily right to the front edge. The front edge needs to be securely
glued.
   6. Remove the pages from the press. Now you can fan the pages 360 degrees
into a circle evenly exposing the page sides to be glued. Spray glue on all
the pages in one operation.
   7. Clamp the pages in the lying press to bind the pages together. Some
glue will squeeze out the sides. Wipe excess from the spine portion.
   8. Remove the album when glue has set long enough. Likely fast set glue
will adhere instantly. Apply binding tape to the spine.
   9. Trim the albums with a guillotine. I've tried sanding, grinding,
sawing, rotary knives, and other techniques. I think if you can get a used
guillotine it's the way to go. I just got one. It's fast and designed for
production. And no paper dust in the air. Paper dust can be really
irritating. Guillotine be used for all kinds of other book like projects. My
guillotine can trim as little as 0.05 inches or even less off a book block.
Your albums could be up to 3.9 x 2.95 inches. Why waste good photographic
paper.
   10. If making multiple copies, do batches of albums in all steps except
clamping after gluing. Batching will save time.

Ben Wiens...applied energy scientist
Ben Wiens Energy Science Inc.
Energy Website: http://www.benwiens.com