[BKARTS] Call for Entries

Hi All,

I received this call for entries on another list and thought many on this
list might be interested in this call for entries. It could be an
interesting altered book or book sculpture project. Kudos to the San
Francisco Public Library for turning such a tragedy into an positive
opportunity.

Have fun,

Laura Russell

*************************

The James C. Hormel Gay & Lesbian Center of the San Francisco Public Library
would like to extend the opportunity to local and national artists to take
place in our upcoming exhibition, Reversing Vandalism.

The idea behind the Reversing Vandalism exhibition is to transform
destructive energy, directed toward over 600 books, primarily on gay,
lesbian, bisexual, transgender and women's studies, into a collection of
artwork that illuminates the value and evolution of these books, art, and
ideas.

At the beginning of 2001, San Francisco Main Library staff began finding
books, carved with a sharp instrument, hidden under shelving units. Many of
these volumes, eventually numbering over 600, were related to issues of gay,
lesbian, bisexual, and transgender individuals, as well as AIDS and women's
health issues. Eventually, the vandal was caught and charged with a hate
crime. When the damaged books were assessed, it was determined most were
beyond repair, and were withdrawn from the Library's collection. In an
effort to redirect the "energy" of the destroyed Library books, the Library
is making them available to artists. The resulting artwork will be exhibited
at the Hormel Center and other possible venues.

We would like to offer individuals from a wide range of backgrounds and
disciplines one or more of the destroyed books to create works of art for
the Reversing Vandalism exhibition. We have no preconceived notions of what
the resulting artwork might look like, only that it would likely help
transform these destroyed Library materials. Should your organization be
willing to make the Call for Artist Participation applications available to
members, clients, and constituents, we would be happy to provide you with
them.

Application forms are also available on  line here:
http://sfpl4.sfpl.org/news/revvandalismforms.pdf

Jim Van Buskirk, Program Manager
James C. Hormel Gay & Lesbian Center
San Francisco Public Library