Re: [BKARTS] WANTED: BOOKBINDER'S TICKETS/LABELS

Dear Doug and Everyone,

     Thank You for getting back to me about my request. I want you
     All to know that I Agree with you Wholeheartedly, I Firmly
     Believe that Any Bookseller's or Bookbinder's Tickets that are
     in a Book Should Remain within the Book if it is in the Intact
     Original Binding, or if the Original Binding is Restorable. On
     the other hand, I Do Not Believe that a Bookbinder's Ticket
     should Remain in a Book that has been Re-Bound, Overly
     "Restored" or Changed in Any Manner that is Completely
     Different from the Original Bookbinder's Work, as this would
     Not be an Example of the Binder's Work, but his Ticket would
     Infer that it was... I have Unfortunately seen this on several
     occasions.

     So..., I am Not Advocating the Removal of Any Bookbinder's or
     Bookseller's Tickets from Any Book that is an Example of a
     Binding Produced by the Binder who "Signed" it, to me and All
     other Bibliophiles, this would be a Crime. I also Agree with
     you that a Record of a Bookbinder's Work: the Tools and Rolls
     that they used, the Style of the Binding, as well as Any other
     Notable Techniques that would Help to Identify a Binder, should
     be Compiled, and is being Compiled by a Gentleman at Princeton
     University - I Believe that he Intends to put these Records
     Online at somepoint, and I Hope that he does.

     What I am Requesting; is that Any Bookbinder who is Re-Binding
     or Custom Binding a Book that has a Bookbinder's Ticket in it,
     and the Customer or the Binder has No Interest in it and would
     typically Discard them as Trash, will they Please Save them and
     Send them to me, or Contact me and I will Purchase the Tickets
     from them??? I have heard from So Many Bookbinders who have
     told me that they typically Throw Away whatever Scraps they
     have left over (Including Bookbinder's Tickets) from the
     Re-Bindings that they do, not even Thinking about what they are
     doing. I want them to Think about it, I want All Bookbinders
     who do Re-Bindings for Universities or Individuals to Save
     these Tickets instead of Discarding them, it takes No More Time
     to Set them Aside than it does to Throw them Away, and they may
     even make a little Money for doing it!!! They will also be
     Helping me with my Research.

     You are Correct, a Ticket Alone will not Help you in Studying
     or Understanding the Binding Trade, or the Bookbinder himself.
     But, a Colour Catalogue Illustrating the Many Variations of
     Individual Binder's Tickets, Chronologically Ordered, with
     Annotated Biographical Information, will be of Use to
     Researchers in several areas: Provenance Research, Bookbinding
     History, Book Trade History, Trade Advertising, and in a small
     way the Evolution of Printing in Bookbinding. To give you an
     Example: I have 12 Very Different Tickets from the Italian
     Bookbinding Firm, Giovanni Rognoni (Circa 1860's to 1900's) -
     from Small Decorative Rectangular Tickets, to Relatively Plain
     Oval Tickets, to Large and Very Unusually Shaped Tickets; this
     Firm's Tickets Evolved every few years, Changing Colours, Type
     Fonts, Shapes and Sizes.

     I find these Changes Interesting: were they Influenced by
     Different Bookbinders, by the Social Standing of the Firm, by
     the Local Economy, by the Change in Fashion, or was it simply
     to make their Binder's Tickets more Noticable, thus an Evolving
     Advertising Gimmick??? Word of Mouth was only one way a
     Bookbinder's Skill was Communicated, a Bookbinder had to be
     Very Confident in his Abilities to "Sign" his Bindings when
     others might take Notice...

     Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I am Not Asking
     Anyone, Most Especially my Fellow Bookbinders and Bibliophiles,
     to Damage or Remove Any Bookbinder's Tickets from Any Books,
     other than the ones that they are Re-Binding, Custom Binding or
     Discarding. Many of the Tickets that I have are from
     Bookbinders who do Re-Bindings for Universities. Please do let
     me know if you Ever come across Any that you might find, as I
     will Most Certainly be Interested in them. Thank You once
     again. Please Take Care.

Yours Sincerely,
Jonathan B. Pons