Re: [BKARTS] printing photographs

I think it's interesting that there are all kinds of opinions being offered
here about things like Zip drives versus CDs, Xerox versus HP, preflighting,
and resolution of printers in DPI (which seems to be a subject vastly
misunderstood).

What about color management? Having been school in traditional
chemical-based photography I have long been aware of the problem of color
accuracy and color precision. Without proper color management you are either
dooming yourself to one heck of a lot of trial-and-error to get acceptable
results, or you are very lucky. Or maybe I'm just really picky.

Without proper color management, things like ink versus toner versus DPI and
such doesn't really matter. It's still GIGO (garbage in, garbage out).

Also, I think anyone looking into photo-reproduction is missing out if they
don't consider the Epson Stylus Pro 7600 printer (or it's bigger sibling).
With the Ultrachrome inks you can obtain spectacular results. As a matter of
fact, it is good enough that SWOP (Specifications Web Offset Publications)
accepts the 7600 prints as an off-press proof alternative to on-press
proofs. See http://www.swop.org/ads/Epson_9600-7600.pdf for details. It runs
about $3,000.
Of course, the Xerox DocuColor 12, for example, also offers fine results.
For an estimated $31,000+. It also has a tendency to jam.

Just some more things to think about.
David