Re: [BKARTS] Miniature Book Collections

At 11:30 AM 8/29/2003 -0600, Kevin Thomas wrote:

I'm getting ready to market my new artist book series which are all
miniature books. I've marketed lots of my regular artist books, but since
this is my first foray into the miniature world, I'm looking for a few leads.

Can anyone recommend which univerisities and library special collections
departments (or other venues) collect miniature books? Any ideas would be
greatly appreciated.

I think there may be a couple of false premises behind the question....

1. There are a few libraries that collect miniatures because they are
miniatures.

2. However, there are a much larger number of libraries that might buy a
miniature because of its subject, its author, its illustrations, etc.  Some
would do so _despite_ the fact it is a miniature: like oversize books, the
dratted things are an inventory and shelving problem.

3.  The largest group of buyers is quite likely miniature book
collectors.  Visit the web pages of the Miniature Book Society at
www.mbs.org.  You may want to join the group -- or at least seek out copies
of their newsletter.  And attending one of its annual conferences may be
useful.

4.  While on the web site, note the "dealers" page. This provides links to
most of the booksellers who routinely buy and sell miniature books.  It may
be more productive for you to create the books but contract their sale with
a professional and experienced bookseller.

5. Note also the "publishers" page.  And note the link there to _The
Microbibliophile_, a monthly that has a large number of collector subscribers.

Best of luck ................ Sid Huttner

Sidney F. Huttner * Head, Special Collections *
The University of Iowa Libraries *  Iowa City, Iowa 52242-1420 *
319-335-5922 * FAX: 319-335-5900 *
e-mail: sid-huttner@xxxxxxxxx
Department homepage: http:/www.lib.uiowa.edu/spec-coll/new2.htm;
        Explore the Charlotte M. Smith Collection of Miniature Books:
        Go to .../new2.htm, click at the link at the end of the first
paragraph of text.