Re: [BKARTS] folded cover

Hi Suzanne,
your description sounds like a book I learned from Pauline Johnson's Creative
Bookbinding. Dover has re-published this book --page 118-119 in the Dover
edition. I think its still one of the best beginner books around. (If you can't
find it in the library you can come over to my studio and look at mine.)

Below is a short copy of the instructions I use when I teach this book.

Patricia Grass

2 cover boards, 4" x 6"
cover paper--
2 pieces 4" x 12", outside paper
2 pieces 6" x 10", printed, inside cover
2 piece  6" x 8", spine cover, one printed, one plain

You will need one of the inside printed cover papers that is 6" x 10".  You
are going to wrap this paper around one of the mat board covers.  You are NOT
going to glue this paper to the board. The cover board is 6" tall, the cover
paper is 6" tall. Match this up placing the board in the middle of the paper
from side to side. Make sure the board is laying on the wrong side of the paper.
Fold the extra paper over onto the board at one side and the rest of the paper
over top of it on the other side.

The only thing we are going to glue is the cover paper to itself where it
overlaps itself.  Apply some glue to the paper and glue it to itself where it
overlaps--donāt get any glue on the mat board. You are wrapping the board; it
should be able to slip out of the paper wrapper--but donāt do it, leave the
cardboard in the paper wrapper. Wrap the other cover board with the other piece of
printed paper in the same way.

The next step is to cover the board with the plain paper that is 4" x 12".
Take one of the pieces of paper and lay it on the table. Place the covered mat
board in the center of this long piece of paper. The covered board is 4" wide
and the plain cover paper is 4" wide. Match up this measurement; you will have
extra paper at top and bottom of the cover board. The cover board should be
laying on the paper so that the glued seam is down on the plain paper and you
do not see it.

You want to insert the extra plain cover paper in the space between the mat
board and the printed cover paper. Make sure you insert the paper so that it
covers up the mat board and is inserted in the space between the board and the
side of the printed paper without the seam. Start at the top and push the paper
down between the printed paper and the board. Make the fold as crisp as you
can where it goes over the board. Now work on the bottom. Push the paper in
getting it as tight as you can.

If you have any problem getting the plain paper in the space, you can use a
scissors and taper the paper slightly on each side to help you get the paper
in. Try not to do this because the only thing holding this plain paper in is the
friction between the two sheets of paper. Use you folder to help push the
paper in the space.

Repeat this with the other cover board.

You have two remaining piece of paper left; this is the spine cover. They are
6" high, the same height as the covers of the book. There is a plain paper a
nd a printed paper. You want to glue these two pieces of paper together. Lay
the plain piece of paper on a scrap paper. Put glue all over it right to the
edges. Get rid of the scrap paper. Lay the printed paper on top of the plain
paper with the print side out so that you can see it. Carefully match top and
bottom; donāt worry to much about the sides. Top and bottom refer to the height
measurement which is 6". Rub with your folder to get a good bond. You can put
this paper under some weight--a book- and let it dry a few minutes. We will use
this paper to join together the two covers, later. You can use either side on
the outside of the book.

To assemble the book you will need your covers, text pages sewn or glued to
an extra piece of text paper, and the spine piece.  Begin by slipping the extra
paper at each end of the text pages into the covers. There is an opening
between the outside paper and the inside paper of the cover at the spine edge.
Slip the extra textpaper into this opening.  Finally slip the spine cover piece
of decorative paper into this same opening in the  two covers but on the
outside of the book.