Re: [BKARTS] folded cover

"this folded cover, which I called "The Cover Designed to
Fall Apart," and I attributed to Hedi Kyle" (Barbara
Harman)

"I've heard it called a 'turtle' binding..." (Kathie
Gillaspey)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Kathie, Liese, Barbara, and especially Patricia Grass
for those long instructions--

Thank you for your thoughtful responses. I appreciate it.

I actually know how to make this type of cover, but have
never seen a name associated with it, and I really couldn't
figure out how to describe it well. When I'm talking about
it to someone who is present with me, I can just show by
making my hands into "interlocking C-clamps" and people get
it immediately-- but it takes a long time to do it in
words.

I first heard of this type of cover in a class with Colleen
Cavin. She didn't teach it, but mentioned the idea of the
structure. Later I saw one like this that she had made.
Then a friend came back from a class with Michael Jacobs
and had made some small books using this same basic idea.

I do think it works well as covers for examples of fine
printing or calligraphy. I don't know how durable it is for
board covers with larger text blocks. I haven't tried that.
("the Cover Designed to Fall Apart" makes me even more
skeptical...)

I have the Pauline Johnson book and will look to see how
she describes it.
I'm thinking it might also be in Alisa Golden's books
somewhere.

thanks for all the help,
Suzanne

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com