[BKARTS] adhesives

A few days ago someone was posting about how horrible Yes glue is.
Which adhesives are good for making books? It seems most wrinkle the
paper or are not permanent. Also, I'm pretty new to book making. I'd
like some recommendations for a good book that explains how to make a
hard bound book with a spine, something good for a beginner with lots
of illustrations.

Thanks.