[BKARTS] is a book incomplete without title on the spine?

 Hi everyone,

one week ago I finished a book covered completely parchment, which was
colored with red and black. I got a really nice cloudy texture on the
parchment and decided to change my original design: I did not want to
put any lines on the front, the spine nor the back. I liked the texture
of the parchment too much.
When my master revised the book, he told me that it tecnically good, but
incomplete without any design at the spine. Then I said, that I do not
like any titles running alongside the spine an it would not be possible
to put any title on the spine without changing the font (the spine is
about 15 mm thin). So he answered me that I could put the title letter
by letter down the spine, BUT A BOOK IS INCOMPLETE WITHOUT ANY DESIGN ON
THE SPINE, because it is the visible part of the book when its in the
bookshelf.
I do not agree and would be interessted in your opinion.

A scan of the book can be found at
http://community.webshots.com/photo/59210457/87937139rLjFEB