[BKARTS] workshop

There are a couple spaces remaining in the following workshop:

The New England Chapter of the Guild of Book Workers
announces a
PARCHMENT MAKING WORKSHOP WITH JESSE MEYER
A TWO-DAY FIELD TRIP
Friday and Saturday, September 19-20
Montgomery, New York

     Parchment, or vellum, is one of the oldest and most durable of
bookbinding materials, both as a covering material and as a text
support. It was the principle "plastic" material of the Middle Ages, and

remains one of the strongest, most sensuous, and most archival of
natural materials available to the bookbinder and calligrapher. Its
alkalinity makes it an ideal material for conservation purposes.
     Join the New England Chapter as we make a field trip to the Richard

E. Meyer & Sons Tannery, where we will spend two days producing vellum.
On Friday we will be
involved in "wet work", taking the fresh skins through the dehairing
stage to the point of stretching and scraping them on the frame. We will

also learn about the dyeing process. Saturday will be spent on the "dry
work", the finishing processes of the skins, and will
end with sanding the skins to proper thickness and trimming. We will
also get a tour of the complete Tannery facilities.
     Jesse Meyer's family has been in the leather tannery business for
450 years. They have
been tanning in this country since the early 1800's, and since the
1500's in Germany. Jesse brought his lineage and expertise into the
craft of parchment making. For years he has been a leading parchment
maker in the United States.
     This event is both a unique opportunity and a rare bargain. Every
participant will come away with two vellum skins: one dyed goatskin and
one fair calf.
     Montgomery, NY is located an hour and a half from New York City.
Carpooling will
be arranged from Boston and other areas. A list of B & B's and hotels
will be provided for those wishing to stay over Friday night.
     A preview of Jesse's parchment making facilities can be seen at his

website:
www.pergamena.net.
     The workshop fee is: $160. The Materials fee is: $35.
     To register please send a check for the total amount, made out to
the New England Chapter of the Guild of Book Workers, along with your
contact information, to: Barry Spence 3 Masonic Avenue, Shelburne Falls,

MA 01370. If you have questions, Barry can be reached at 413-625-2980 or

bspence@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx