[BKARTS] Isaac Bashevis Singer: The Manuscript

Book Arts & Letterpress Folks:

An Isaac Bashevis Singer miniature book edition was recently re-discovered
in our vaults, and we're making a portion of the edition available for sale
as a fundraiser for the Jaffe Book Arts Collection at Florida Atlantic
University.

Besides the Jaffe Book Arts Collection, FAU's Wimberly Library is home to
many outstanding special collections. Of particular interest is our Isaac
Bashevis Singer Collection, which includes not only numerous Singer books
and unpublished holographs, but also his writing desk and a manual Hermes
2000 Yiddish typewriter. Singer, who won the Nobel Prize for Literature in
1979, wrote mainly in Yiddish.

In 1986, the Tamazunchale Press of Newton, Iowa, released "The Manuscript,"
a limited edition miniature book by this great author. The book is small
(fifty-two 1.5" by 2.5" pages) yet powerful: it is the story of an author's
manuscript, left behind in Warsaw during the Nazi occupation, and the woman
who sneaks behind enemy lines to retrieve it. But love, ultimately, proves
as destructive as war. Some fifteen years ago, FAU Libraries purchased what
was left of the edition from the press, and a small number of these books
were recently found hidden away in the Wimberly's Special Collections
department. All the books are new and uncirculated.

"The Manuscript" by Isaac Bashevis Singer was printed by Joh. Enschede en
Zonen in Haarlem, Holland, in an edition of 250 numbered copies. Each book
was bound in full leather with gilt edges by Reliure d'Art du Centre S.A.
in Limoges, France, using marbled end papers by Faith Harrison. Each
handmade copy is $100 US, plus $2 shipping, and is available by sending a
check, payable to "FAU Foundation", referenced "Jaffe Support Fund", to me
at the following address:

        John Cutrone
        Jaffe Book Arts Collection
        Florida Atlantic University Libraries
        777 Glades Road
        PO Box 3092
        Boca Raton, FL 33431-0992

A photograph of the book, along with the full story and an official order
form, are available on page four of our current newsletter, "Folio: The
Book Arts News at FAU." Here's a direct link to the .pdf version on our
website:

http://www.library.fau.edu/depts/spc/foliosummer2003.pdf

Sales benefit the Jaffe Book Arts Support Fund and work towards our goal of
an educational book arts center here in South Florida.

Thank you very much,
John

John Cutrone
The Arthur and Mata Jaffe Collection