Re: [BKARTS] help: Library of Congress publication: Boxes for Pro tection of Books:...

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 01:33:01PM -0400, Palkovic, Mark (palkovma) wrote:
> You might try your local library (or even inter-library loan) to get =
> access
> to a copy of this out-of-print book. You could then (illegally) =
> photocopy it

For those in Canada....

Out-of-print books may be copied in full for personal use in Canada...
If the copy shop holds an appropriate license. Here's an example of what
you can do at University of Calgary's copy shop:
        http://www.ucalgary.ca/ImageCentre/copyright/cancopy.htm
        Note: under what you can't copy is "an entire book UNLESS out of print"
        The double negative implies it's ok to copy an entire book if it's out
        of print.

The Access Copyright (formerly CanCopy) site was moderately useless as
it doesn't talk about copying for personal use. Instead it's talking
about the licensing for major institutions.

A similar copyright info page at Carleton University states that a copy
shops may sell a reproduction of an out-of-print book but must first
receive permission from Access Copyright. The tarrif is a maximum of $7.50
per book (5 cents per page) to be paid to Access Copyright. Again no
mention of personal copying from what I scanned.
http://www.carleton.ca/ims/copyrig3.html

I've just called Access Copyright and am waiting to hear back from them on
what the official word is for personal use.

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]