[BKARTS] Re: [BKARTS] bradel à plats rapportés

Yves,
Perhaps you are referring to the temporary binding called the Bradel binding where the case is fastened to the spine by using split boards.
See http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/don/dt/dt0459.html
Peter Verheyen also has a step by step instruction on his website :
http://www.philobiblon.com/casebd.htm
Hope this helps,
Dave

At 09:32 PM 9/11/03 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello
>
>Does anybody know a reference (book ou website) on the binding technique
>called in French "bradel à plats rapportés" ?
>I don't know how to translate it in English. Maybe "raised boards case
>binding" ?
>In this kind of binding, the spine is covered first with cloth or leather,
>then the boards separately (with marbled paper for instance). The boards
>are then pasted on the cloth or leather that covers the spine, or more
>accurately on the extensions of the spine covering material.
>
>Thank you
>
>Best regards
>
>Yves
>Yves Gribaumont