Re: [BKARTS] Foil stamping cloth

Don,
I stamp on book cloth all the time with a kwikprint but I have never tried with real gold. You need to get gold foil which is matched to what you are stamping. You certainly shouldn't have to press so hard. It sounds to me that the temperature is not near high enough. Does a drop of water sizzle when dropped on the platen?
Also if you are using real gold and not gold foil you would have to use sizing, etc. which I must admit I have done with a hand pallet but never with a kwikprint. I have, however, used foil to do black and been very successful. The temperature of foil I use is marked as 250-270 degress F.
You can buy foil very reasonably on ebay by the way.
Or e-mail to:
USE Foils
foil@xxxxxxxxxxxx
PO Box 788
Lawrence, Kansas  66046
That's who I get most of mine from. He has all sorts of colours. Just let him know what you plan to do with it and he will match the type of foil to your need.
Hope this helps,
Dave

At 05:51 PM 9/11/03 -0700, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>Real gold and 3 varieties of black foil (all from General Roll Leaf)
>have all been tested on a wide range of book cloth at a range of
>temperatures, dwells and pressures. Granted, this is a hand-stamper, so
>we're not talking precise control. I've finally admitted defeat after
>having applied so much pressure that I've impressed the cloth texture
>into some of my lead type (from M&H Foundery, SF CA).

David Allen
840 Snowdrop Avenue
Victoria, British Columbia
CANADA  V8Z 2N4