[BKARTS] WORKSHOPS, Portland Oregon

La Palabra Café-Press
Studio WORKSHOPS
REGISTRATION BEGINS AUGUST 20th
class size limited

for more information or to register contact:
La Palabra Café-Press
503.493.0333
www.cafepress.org

Silkscreen & Serigraphy
from poster to limited edition
This is a six week course of material investigation using silkscreen and
water based acrylic inks. Our goal will be to produce quality imagery
through various stenciling techniques: basic block out, stencil film, &
lithocrayon. In executing these techniques, we will utilize critique and
discussion, in order to create posters and print editions of clarity and
integrity.

6 Saturdays, 4:00pm ­ 6:00pm
September 27th ­ November 1st
cost: $100

Letterpress
exploring the range of the proof press
Covers a brief historical overview of text, type, and printing as well as
handling of tools & equipment, and working with inks & paper. Over the
course of the workshop participants will print from linoleum blocks, hand
typeset forms, and photopolymer plates to create an original piece of their
own vision and design.

9 Wednesdays, 6:30pm ­ 8:30pm
September 17th ­ November 12th
cost: $150

Darkroom
This is a basic workshop that will give you the skills to start printing
your own photographs. It covers film processing and printing from 35mm
negatives, focusing, using filters, choosing paper, burning & dodging,
printing contact sheets, and enlargements. We will also touch on  toning,
and hand coloring images, the distinction between printing on RC and fiber
papers as well as introduce some simple alternative processing techniques.

4 Sundays, 12:00 noon - 2:00pm
October 5th - 26th
OR
4 Sundays, 12:00 noon - 2:00pm
November 2nd - 23rd

cost: $150, includes one month unlimited darkroom use

Documentary Film & Photo
Covers issues in documentary production whether still or in motion, such as
documentary ethics, relaxed and authentic interviewing, basic camera
techniques, natural & (when absolutely necessary) artificial lighting,
location shooting, as well as some legal and financial considerations. This
course will be project centered, with the intention that each participant
will make significant progress in creating a body of documentary images that
delve deeply into the world through the "factual record" of reality.

9 Sundays, 6:00pm ­ 8:00pm
September 21st ­ November 16th
cost: $150

Book Basics
Covers a brief historical overview of book making, handling of tools,
understanding and working with materials (paper, glue, book board, cloth),
learning basic techniques (folding, cutting, tearing, sewing, gluing) for
binding a single volume as a work of art. We will also experiment with
non-traditional materials, exposing structures and innovating techniques.

8 Saturdays, 11am - 1pm
September 20th ­ November 8th
cost: $150

Fine Press Publishing for Writers
Covers a brief overview of issues in small press, independent, and fine
publishing, self-directed, cooperative editing techniques, conceptualizing,
designing, printing and binding a fine press edition of your own original
work. Bring a short manuscript you are working on, and together in a safe
and open writing/publishing community we will prepare and materialize a
single fine press volume of your work.

8 Saturdays, 2 ­ 4pm
September 20th ­ November 8th
cost: $150

REGISTRATION BEGINS AUGUST 20th
class size limited

for more information or to register contact:

La Palabra Café-Press
a cultural-philo-ciné-literary-arts-cyber café & collaborative press
4810 NE Garfield Ave.
(One block southwest of Alberta & MLK)
PDX, OR  97211
503.493.0333