Re: [BKARTS] Thin leather

Scott,

You might want to give kangaroo leather a try.  We carry it split to a
thickness of .05 mm which means you don't need to pare it.  It is very
strong so the thinness is not a factor.  It also glues very well with PVA
glue.  The response to it in the past 1 1/2 years has been great and we use
it regularly for making books and boxes.  It has a look and feel of calf
skin.  We get it made  to order with a natural finish, so it also takes gold
tooling very well.   The only down side is that it is getting more expensive
and grade 2 skins are pretty close to the same as goat.  Still, if you are a
beginner at paring but still want a real leather feel land look, it is worth
trying.

As far as we know, the only other US source besides us that carries
kangaroo skin, specifically used for bookbinding. is Harcourt.  There might
be others.  We carry it in our Michigan store and it can be ordered through
our website -  http://www.hollanders.com/kleathers.htm  We also have sample
cards available.    Although we are out of some colors, we expect a new
shipment in soon.   Hope this helps.

Tom

Hollander's
407 N Fifth Ave